Records For Living Community

Share Information about HealthFrame and taking control of your own healthcare
Welcome to Records For Living Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Storing images

Last post 10-03-2006, 9:52 PM by Records For Living Support. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  09-30-2006, 5:15 PM 484

Storing images

My big question with my health considerations, is do you store images like X-rays, Cat scans etc. This is very important to me

--
    Gordon
  •  09-30-2006, 5:23 PM 486 in reply to 484

Re: Storing images

HealthFrame supports storing attachments to your health record, including images such as X-rays, cat scans, etc.

There is considerable information in the help file (please start Help from the menu and then click on the index and look for the text 'Attachments'.

Attachments are stored as 'related information' and can be stored in context with the remainder of your medical record.  For instance, you can store your X-ray and create a link to it from a visit record.  You can track expenses related to the visit (and in particular to the X-ray), etc.

Attachments allow you to store images of tests, receipts, medical notes, discharge notes, etc.

Support Team

•  09-30-2006, 5:27 PM 487 in reply to 486

remember that the more images you store, the more that the database grows - a the files are inserted in to the data base as there is no linking to the file - thus the larger it grows, this will slowly start to slow down the opening as you are "feeding the PHR" with the images and other information.
    *** Davis
  •  09-30-2006, 5:41 PM 488 in reply to 487

Good point about the database growing.  There is one feature however, that I'm not sure you are aware of...  HealthFrame actually supports linking to external files (i.e. files that reside in your hard disk and are not a part of the PHR's database). 

Please take a look at the 'Attachments' help text.  You'll note that by using the 'Related Information' feature and by selecting to link to a URL (Web link) you can link to a file that lives in your hard disk.

Imagine you have a very large image, that resides on c:\MyMedicalImages\Xray1.jpg, you can then create a link by typing file://c:/MyMedicalImages/Xray1.jpg.

There are some tradeoff considerations that users make at this point. When you link to files in your hard disk (instead of importing them as attachments into your PHR), you do not have access to them when you make a HealthFrame backup.

The tradeoff is speed vs. organization of data...

Support Team

•  09-30-2006, 5:55 PM 489 in reply to 488

And can the images that are already in the database, be extraced and then linked as you describe?

*** Davis
  •  10-03-2006, 9:52 PM 491 in reply to 489

Yes, you can extract files that are currently attached to your PHR.  Please see the image below.  Look at the File Attachment line where it indicates the HandInstructions.bmp file is related to this physical therapy consultation visit.  You'll note three icons to the right of the file name.  The first one is the icon that you click on to save the attachment (to your disk or any storage device that your computer is hooked up to, such as USB drive, etc).  When you hover over the icon, you should see the text 'save a copy of this attachment to a file'.

So, here are the steps you'd take:

1. Find any images (or documents) that you have attached to your PHR.

2. For those that you wish to link to (instead of attach), save to disk by clicking on the icon on the link (as identified above).

3. After you have saved the document (and verified that the saved document is accessible from the hard disk), you simply remove the attachment from the PHR.

4. Now that you've removed the attached document, create a new related information link, this time using the URL (web link) type.  Use the format shown at the beginning of this thread (i.e. file://....)

Support Team

View as RSS news feed in XML